If you are fond of reading e-books and looking for the best ePub (electronic publication) reader, you are at the right place. We have listed some of the rich-featured ePub readers for Windows-powered devices available on the internet. Those who don’t know much about ePub, it is an e-book file format. The format can be downloaded and read on smart devices such as mobile phones, tablet, and e-readers. It is published by International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF). According to Wikipedia, ePub is the most widely supported vendor-independent XML based (as opposed to PDF) e-book format and is supported by the largest number of hardware.
So without wasting any more time let’s get started
- 1 1. Freda
- 2 2. Calibre
- 3 3. Icecream eBook Reader
- 4 4. Sumatra PDF
- 5 5. Cover – Comic Reader
- 6 Comparision of eBook Formats
Freda is an easy and simple ebook reader. The free program is available on Windows. Freda offers over 50,000 public domain classic books, free of charge, from Feedbooks, Gutenberg, and other on-line catalogs. Users can also read their own (DRM-free) books. The program is highly customizable. Users can customize controls, fonts, colors, plus annotation and bookmarks. It has a unique ability to look up dictionary definition and translation. Recently, a new text-to-speech reading feature is added to the qualities. Not only text but it also shows images and diagrams in books.
- It can get books from on-line catalogs such as Feedbooks, Smashwords, and the Gutenberg Project
- You can use DropBox, OneDrive or Calibre to share your existing book collection with your phone. It can also download e-books from any website or from email attachments
- You can download and save the books for later reading when you don’t have the internet connection
- You can pin your favorite on the start page
- Operating System Supported: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Phone 8.1, Windows Phone 8
- Formats Supported: DRM-free EPUB, FB2, HTML and TXT formats
- Download size: 43.09 MB (Approximately)
It is an absolutely free and open source e-book reader for all kind of readers. A highly customizable, powerful, and easy to use e-book manager. The user interface is very simple and friendly. Most of the options and features are available and displayed under intuitive tabs. You can completely change the looks, colors, and feels and apply one of the three built-in library views. Calibre has the ability to fetch all the metadata of an e-book like the cover, summary, title, publisher, author, International Standard Book Number (ISBN), etc. But if find something missing or wrong metadata, you can edit or create it too.
- It is preloaded with Advanced Search and Sorting functions that use authors, tags, comments, and more
- It provides the facility to transfer the e-books from one device to another (wirelessly or using a cable)
- While converting any file, you can also automatically change the books’ style, improve punctuation and margins, create a table of contents.
- It supports Tables of contents, bookmarks, CSS, a reference mode, printing, searching, copying, multi-page view, embedded fonts, and more.
- Operating System Supported: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Phone 8.1, Windows Phone 8, Mac, Linux, Windows 64 bit
- Formats Supported: DRM-free EPUB, FB2, HTML and TXT formats and all the other formats
- Download Size: 60.56 MB (Approximately)
3. Icecream eBook Reader
Icecream eBook reader is one of the best eBook readers with the decent user interface. The UI is so catchy and user-friendly. It has some of the noticeable features such as the capability to turn pages, add notes, translate text, use bookmarks, track reading progress, search your library and much more.
- You can check how many pages are left to read and you can continue reading from where you left off
- By providing the information like author’s name or title of the book, you can search for the book you’re looking for
- Icecream eBook reader allows you to copy text, search on Google, Wikipedia search, Translate and more
- For faster pages browsing, you can use navigation scrollbar
- Operating System Supported: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows 2003, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008
- Formats Supported: EPUB, MOBI, FB2, PDF and other popular formats
- Download Size: 28.2 MB
4. Sumatra PDF
SumatraPDF or just Sumatra is a portable app which can be saved to USB stick or cloud storage facility and then later you can use it on any PC. You can save your collection of eBooks at the same place too. By doing this, the eBook has managed to remove the synchronization of the library. Sumarte PDF is free, powerful, small in size, and start up very fast. User Interface is very simple with basic features. It also has built-in support for easy previewing of Latex documents.
- You can easily change the page color. All you need is an exact hex code. Just enter the code on the appropriate line and you’re done!
- This tool is available in both formats standalone app and portable app. Since it is a portable app, you don’t need to install it. The app can be used without installation over and over again.
- Operating System Supported: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP.
- Formats Supported: ePub, Mobi, DjVu, CHM, CBZ & CBR (Comic Book), and other popular formats
- Download Size: 3.40 MB (portable version)
5. Cover – Comic Reader
If you are looking for a decent comic reader, Cover could be one of the best options. The user interface is really stunning and allows users to read and manage comic books. Cover is compatible with most of the comic ebook formats. It also supports OneDrive and DropBox. When you edit or add books using Internet Explorer, it automatically synchronizes. You can manage 25 books with the free version while the paid version allows you to read and manage unlimited books.
- Crystal-clear library management: Shelves, read/unread status, page count, current page, etc.
- Local folder, network, OneDrive, Dropbox support
- Highly customizable: single/dual page, fit width/height/page, background color, cropping, night mode, etc.
- Open standalone files from within Cover, or directly from the Explorer.
- Operating System Supported: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Phone 8.1
- Formats Supported: CBZ/ZIP, CBR/RAR, 7Z/CB7, CBT, PDF, EPUB (images only)
- Image Formats Supported: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, WEBP
- Download Size: 20.48 MB (Approximately)
Comparision of eBook Formats
- Broadband eBooks (BBeB): Format – Sony Media, Published as – .lrf; lrx
- Comic Book Archive File: Format – Compressed Images, Published as – .cbr (RAR); .cbz (ZIP); .cb7 (7z); .cbt (TAR); .cba (ACE)
- Compiled HTML: Format – Microsoft Compiled HTML Help, Published as – .chm
- DAISY – ANSI/NISO: Format – DAISY
- DjVu: Format – DjVu, Published as – .djvu
- DOC: Format – Microsoft Word, Published as – .doc
- DOCX: Format – Microsoft Word (XML), Published as – .docx
- eReader (Formerly Palm Digtal Media/Peanut Press): Format – Palm Media, Published as – .pdb
- FictionBook (Fb2): Format – Fictionbook, Published as – .pb2
- Founder Electronics: Format – Apabi Reader, Published as – .xeb; .ceb
- Hypertext Markup Language: Format – Hypertext, Published as – .htm; .html and typically auxiliary images, js and css
- iBook (Apple): Format – iBook, Published as – .ibook
- IEC 62448: Format – IEC 62448
- INF (IBM): Format – IBM & Open Source, Published as – .inf
- Kindle (Amazon): Format – Kindle, Published as – .azw; .azw3 or .kf8; .kfx
- Microsoft LIT: Format – Microsoft Reader, Published as – .lit
- Mobipocket: Format – Mobipocket, Published as – .prc; .mobi
- Multimedia eBooks: Format – Eveda, Published as – .exe or .html
- Newton eBook: Format – Newton eBook, Published as – .pkg
- Open Electronic Package: Format – Open eBook, Published as – .opf
- Portable Document Format: Format – Portable Document Format, Published as – .pdf
- Plain text files: Format – text, Published as – .txt
- Plucker: Format – Plucker, Published as – .pdb
- PostScript – Format – PostScipt, Published as – .ps
- RTF: Format – Rich Text Format, Published as – .rtf
- SSReader: Format – SSReader, Published as – .pdg
- Text Encoding Initiative: Format – TEI Lite, Published as – .xml
- TomeRaider: Format – TomeRaider, Published as – .tr2; .tr3
- Open XML Paper Specification: Format – OpenXPS, Punlished as – .oxps; .xps