You may know that social media giant Facebook store your private data in its database. So, Are you curious about what privacy is Facebook keeping from you? You can know it by downloading your Facebook data archive.
Facebook offers this feature to download a collection of your activities. Most of the users are unaware of this self-service tool but not anymore. In this article, we will tell you, how you can download that digital archive containing your personal data Facebook holds.
Reasons to Download Facebook Data
It’s good to have a backup of your personal information and activity log for some obvious reasons. On the other hand, some people want to delete their Facebook profile to protect their privacy. Now, there are a couple of good reasons you should download your Facebook data such as:
- The most prominent current reason is Cambridge Analytica Scandal in which researchers harvested millions of user profiles before the U.S. election. This scandal left the users to doubt if their privacy is private. Keeping these things in mind, it is a good idea to download all your information and save it on your hard drive.
Also, Read How to Delete Facebook Account?
- Mistakenly, you deleted all your photos/ videos, and other files from your mobile. Either you can download them and other posts one by one or save them in few clicks.
Things to do Before Downloading Facebook Data?
Before saving your Facebook history on your computer, there are some key points you should keep in your mind.
- Facebook takes time to gather the information before providing a download link. It may take a couple of minutes or few hours to generate a Facebook downloading link so make sure you request a copy before the time.
- The requested download may contain your private information, so it’s your responsibility to keep it safe. Take precautions before sending or uploading it to other services or platforms.
- Requested Facebook data download link is sent to your registered email address. Make sure that email address is still at work. If you login Facebook using your phone number or username, in that case, be ready with a valid email ID
- Facebook compresses all your data into a zip file, so it’s better to download an unzip tool before proceeding.
- The size of the compressed file may vary and depends on your Facebook activities (number of photos/videos and things you shared). I’ve been using Facebook since 2009, in my case the size is 40.48 MB
As they say, Always have a backup plan
How to Download Facebook Data?
So, now, since you have a valid reason to download Facebook data and you’ve gone through all the precautions, you are all set to learn the process. Now, follow these simple steps:
- First of all, login to your Facebook account or click here
- From the top right of the Facebook page, click on “Drop Down Menu.”
- From the drop-down menu, select “Settings.”
- On the next page, select “General” from the left side of Facebook
- At the bottom of this page, click “Download a copy.”
- You will be redirected to another page, click “Download Archive” to continue.
- For confirmation, re-enter your password and click “Submit.”
- After that, a pop-up window will flash on your screen confirming your Facebook data download request.
- Now, login to your provided email address. You will receive an email from Facebook, confirming, you just requested a copy of your Facebook data.
- Finally, After a while, you will receive “Facebook data download link” to your email address. Click on that link to continue.
- By clicking on that link, you will again be redirected to the “Facebook Start my Archive Page.”
- Again, re-enter your password.
- Now, you are ready to download your Facebook data
How to Open Facebook Data File?
So, you’ve downloaded the Facebook data but don’t know how to open or extract it. We will tell you how you can open and use this Facebook Archive. But before proceeding, make sure you have an unzip tool or extractor to extract all your files. Now, follow these steps:
- First of all, locate the zip file you just downloaded from Facebook to a safer place inaccessible to others.
- You can only use this Facebook searchable archive when it is fully extracted. To extract this file download Winrar here.
- Now, right click on the zip file and select “Extract here.” It will take few seconds to extract your Facebook data.
- After extraction, you will see an Index.html file, open it to look at your details Facebook holds (make sure you have an active internet connection)
- This “index.html” file will be opened in your Google Chrome browser where you can browse all your personal information including phone contacts and call logs.
Let us know if you find this article informative or have any suggestion for us.