You might be getting a message from your telecom operator to link your mobile number to Aadhaar card. As per the Government of India directives, linking your mobile services with aadhaar is mandatory for all new as well as existing customers. The Government of India (GoI) has given the deadline to complete the process before or until 31 March 2018. Let us clear one thing; this post is for those users, who have lost/blocked/not using the mobile number, provided while registering for aadhaar card. Here, we will guide you how you can link your phone number with Aadhaar.
Requirements for Linking Mobile Number with Aadhaar
- Your Aadhaar card or 12 digit Aadhaar number (at the front of the aadhaar card near the barcode)
- Your active phone number (you wish to link)
How to Link Mobile Number with Aadhaar?
- First of all, visit your nearest official/authorized telecom service provider store/retailer. They will ask you for your mobile number
- After that, a verification code will be sent to your phone number at the moment, provide that code to the authorized person
- Now, complete biometric verification on e-KYC device by scanning your fingerprint (Mostly right thumb impression)
- After that, you will receive a confirmation message within the 24 hours after verification completion.
- Reply “Yes” if you want to link your aadhaar number or “No” if you don’t want to verify or terminate the process
Frequently Asked Questions – Aadhaar Linking
- Why should I verify my mobile number? Is it necessary?
The Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued instructions to all the telecom service providers to link/update customers’ aadhaar with their mobile numbers through a biometric process. A meeting was held on 6th February 2017 with the telecom industry wherein Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), and PMO representatives discussed for the way to implement the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court.
Yes, it is essential to link your mobile number with your aadhaar for uninterrupted services.
- Is this process for a particular telecom operator?
No, by visiting your nearest authorized store you can link any mobile number with aadhaar including
Aircel and all the other service providers
- What is the last date of re-verification?
The re-verification needs to be completed before 31 March 2018. However, we recommend you to do the same as soon as possible to avoid the last minute rush
- What if I do not have an Aadhaar card/number?
If you don’t have an aadhaar card, we will recommend you to visit your nearest Aadhaar Enrollment Centre. For more details visit https://uidai.gov.in
- Do I need to pay for this?
No, linking/ verification/ re-verification is a free process, and you don’t need to pay even a single penny for this
- What if I don’t link my mobile number with aadhaar?
As per Department of Telecom (DoT) instructions, it is mandatory to link your aadhaar with the mobile number. If you don’t do so, your number might get deactivated/barred/suspended.
- What if I’m in another city, can I still link my number?
Let’s suppose you are basically from Dehradun but currently living in Chandigarh. You can still link your mobile number with aadhaar by providing your local area pin code where you bought the connection
- I am using two connections can I connect link both with the same aadhaar number?
Yes, you can link all the phone numbers with the same aadhaar number one by one
- Can I connect my mobile number with aadhaar online?
No, there is no specific way to link your mobile number with aadhaar online. For this, you have to visit the nearest authorized store
- Can I link my Mother’s mobile number with my aadhaar?
Yes, of course, you can link your friends’, family members’ mobile number with your aadhaar number or vice versa
- How many connections can be connected to my aadhaar?
Not more than 5
If you have any other question regarding linking aadhaar with a mobile number, you can ask us in the comment box.